Thursday 12 March 2009

[suppose I never ever met you]

This evening I decided to go crazy and do something I don't usually do - I watched a film! Well, I watch films fairly often, but they're almost always something Sophie has chosen. This was one I bought on a spur of the moment 'I think I'd like that film' thing when I was in HMV last week. It was The Edge of Love, which is based on the life of Welsh poet Dylan Thomas and his relationship with his wife and his first love.

It was completely beautiful. It was all dramatic and romantic and bittersweet, and the cinematography was perfect. Plus it had Keira Knightley in it and I confess I've always had something of a soft spot for her. Her Welsh accent was quite lovely.

Romantic period dramas always make me yearn for a life like the one the film portrays. I want a romance that's so intense and dramatic that it always makes me feel alive. It's strange; I think I should want the kind of relationship that's comfortable and cosy and easy. And part of me does. But another part of me - the drama whore part of me - craves passion and intensity and desire. The kind of passion intensity and desire that is always there in the relationship, so that it never becomes so comfortable and cosy and easy that it becomes dull. Comfort in a relationship is acceptable; dullness is definitely not.

I've got my presentation for my Perspectives on North American Migration seminar tomorrow. Yuck. And then I really need to go to Sainsbury's because I have no apple juice. Without my morning mug of apple juice I'm half the person I should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment